> I've  experienced it both ways. It seems that some registrars return
> the   DNS   servers  primary-first,  but  NetSol  at  least,  in  my
> experience, returns a name server in random order.

The   registrars   aren't   returning  anything  to  non-authoritative
recursors, the roots are. And the common, proper, expected behavior is
that  when  all  the  NSs  are located for domain.tld, all the NSs are
eligible for first use.

> And I think that the root servers follow the lead of the registrars,
> no?

I  wouldn't  say that. There is an order to the way the NSs are listed
at the roots; whether in a plain-text zone file or in a relational DB,
there  is  clearly some cosmetic "awareness" of the order in which the
records were saved at the registrar. But that doesn't matter as far as
the traffic each NS should see.

--Sandy

Sanford Whiteman, Chief Technologist
Broadleaf Systems, a division of
Cypress Integrated Systems, Inc.
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

SpamAssassin plugs into Declude!
  http://www.imprimia.com/products/software/freeutils/SPAMC32/download/release/

Defuse Dictionary Attacks: Turn Exchange or IMail mailboxes into IMail Aliases!

http://www.imprimia.com/products/software/freeutils/exchange2aliases/download/release/

http://www.imprimia.com/products/software/freeutils/ldap2aliases/download/release/