Hi David:

>> The broken line terminators are not necessarily of the same type in a
given message. In addition, they are not necessarily adjacent to each other
(with leading whitespace or unprintable characters on a line). What may
appear obvious to the eye is often not at all what exists behind the scene.
You may look at a message and be certain where the headers end and the body
begins (the separating blank line). However, that message may not
necessarily contain two consecutive EOL sequences of any type anywhere. <<

I think part of the frustration is, that some of us are in the business of
"problem solving" and/or even systems programming and have a hard time
relating to the specific difficulties you have encoutered without seeing
live samples.

After all, if Outlook can show the "intended content" of the message
correctly, there IS a way how Outlook was able to determine the "intended"
end of header (with Decludes headers appearing at the bottom of the message
body in Outlook).

Since Microsoft only cooks with water too (and I can't imagine them having
put any deep "thought" into dealing with broken headers), it seems somewhat
obvious that there is solution out there that just has been escaping whoever
is working on it.

Dave said in his message that he was asking for "help" / input / suggestions
from users.

I think some of us would love to step up to the plate and give it a try to
devise an algorithm that discards white spaces, detects any newline
sequences and then manages to detect the end of header the same way the
"human eye" does and/or the same way "Outlook" clearly manages to.

It may be unconventional - but if you placed sample text files of your
different scenarios into a zip file and upload it somewhere, we all could
collaborate - in the same way that we collaborated in the past when
defining/devising new rules, filters, etc.

Best Regards
Andy Schmidt

Phone:  +1 201 934-3414 x20 (Business)
Fax:    +1 201 934-9206

I am very well aware of what byte sequences constitute the end of a line.
However, if the problem were this simple it would have been fixed long ago.
Contrary to what some have said here, we have seen many instances where
IMail likewise appends its headers to the end of the message.

The broken line terminators are not necessarily of the same type in a given
message. In addition, they are not necessarily adjacent to each other (with
leading whitespace or unprintable characters on a line). What may appear
obvious to the eye is often not at all what exists behind the scene. You may
look at a message and be certain where the headers end and the body begins
(the separating blank line). However, that message may not necessarily
contain two consecutive EOL sequences of any type anywhere.

David Franco-Rocha