From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Sanford Whiteman
Sent: Monday, November 13, 2006 11:21 PM
To: Robert E. Spivack
Subject: Re[4]: [Declude.JunkMail] OT: Clustering solution

> An  advantage  of using Microsoft Database Mirroring is that you can
> remain   on   a   100%  Microsoft  supported  solution.

Sure,  but for the cost, you can have a full-time NSI engineer instead
(who  by  necessity  and experience knows their supported MS apps like
the  back  of  her/his hand). Many 24/7 enterprises leave the PSS fine
print  behind  to use third-party clustering solutions that better fit
their  needs. Bottom line is you have to do your homework in all areas
to be able to support geoclusters or local clusters.

[Also,  to  be  frank  about these things, there's nothing forcing you
divulge an underlying clustering scenario to PSS. There's a difference
between  trying to fool them into a wild goose chase, and knowing from
experience  -- and comparison with a cluster-free lab -- that an issue
is 99.999% likely to be observed even if the cluster is taken down and
uninstalled,  and  thus  acting  in good faith in concentrating on the
issue at hand.]

> I'd  be curious to hear if Sandy or anyone has compared db mirroring
> to  double-take  and  other  solutions  that  made sense before this
> feature was available but may be less desirable now.

I  haven't, mostly due to the cost, but also because I more often find
myself   clustering   apps  that  wouldn't  apply  (Sybase,  Exchange,
nonupgradeable  MSSQL 2000, mailbox storage back ends and filesystems,
MySQL, and so on).

Someday,  if  somebody's really running the table with MS products and
has overflowing pockets, I'd be interested in looking into it.

--Sandy

------------------------------------
Sanford Whiteman, Chief Technologist
Broadleaf Systems, a division of
Cypress Integrated Systems, Inc.
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

SpamAssassin plugs into Declude!

http://www.imprimia.com/products/software/freeutils/SPAMC32/download/rel
ease/

Defuse Dictionary Attacks: Turn Exchange or IMail mailboxes into IMail
Aliases!

http://www.imprimia.com/products/software/freeutils/exchange2aliases/dow
nload/release/

http://www.imprimia.com/products/software/freeutils/ldap2aliases/downloa