Ok, I'll add another few cents due to popular demand. I do wish however for this to not become a thread with personal attacks or charges, which I why I tend to step away from such discussions.

I had a client who is a publically traded bank complete their annual FFIEC audit today. Two of my systems were included in this audit, and the bank's lead IT consultant is a 20 year good friend who is also my own network and security guru who is my own emergency backup. He also services other financial firms that are audited annually.

Just to be clear, I did not participate directly in the audit, though the regulations are a constant topic of conversation. There is no doubt that banks are held to a higher standard than others.

The technical phase of the audit is carried out by "examiners". These people are merely consultants hired by the feds to conduct these audits. The primary part of the audit is carried out by "regulators" who are the accounts that go over the books. The examiners are often times less experienced and the IT staff and their own IT consultants. They come in and inspect systems according to checklists, and sometimes go further. They use tools such as ISS scanners to go over a network looking for vulnerabilities.

In this particular audit the customer was flagged for running E-mail servers on every one of their desktops. The E-mail servers were reported as being "Symantec Security Suite", and was the result of running the scanner from a laptop that had Symantec Security Suite installed on it (they bank clients did not run this). Even though this was pointed out to them, they still included it in their report and flagged it as a possible false positive because they said they were just following directions and using the tools they were given. They also claimed that the bank was potential insecure because they had IP space listed in ARIN (which is RFC/ARIN required). They then claimed that their E-mail server, which is fully firewalled from outside connections, was insecure because it exposed it's own IP address in Received headers for outgoing E-mail. These were both bogus and short-sighted issues.

This client always gets rave marks on their audits, but the examiners alway point out something just to prove that they were doing their job. They send a report to the board of directors for the client, and then it is the job of the IT staff to address all of those items to the board. They are not required to change anything, or at least there has never been an issue that was required to be changed, and nit-picky stuff like ARIN records for IP space are merely explained and not changed.

In another place that I am aware of, the examiners recommended changing to a commercial IT security package because they did not understand the security as it was implemented. This was an issue with the examiners and not the financial institution. While this does confirm that the examiners prefer commercial packages, it does not justify the use of commercial packages since this is not a requirement, and it is merely a consultant examiner that is not fully versed in network security. For instance, they may be uncomfortable with a hardened linux kernel running SNORT for IDS, but if you buy a commercial package with a fancy name that is merely a hardened linux kernel running SNORT, they may be happy since they know the product name.

Regarding SOX compliance, this never came up, and according to my friend that has done several dozen FFIEC audits, it never has. SOX is primarily covered by traditional audits and to the best of my knowledge, it is overseen by the PCAOB (which was created by Sarbaines-Oxley for compliance purposes). They deal with independent auditors, and it is apparently the responsibility of the independent auditors to verify SOX compliance, including E-mail archiving. I can't claim that FFIEC examiners or regulators won't look at SOX E-mail archiving, and the examiners do look at other systems for record retention regarding security, but it is clearly not universal, and FFIEC audits are the fiercest audits of them all.

For publically traded non-financial corporations, FFIEC audits don't apply. They are clearly covered by SOX, and it's E-mail retention rules, but they do not go to the same extent in examining systems. SOX compliance as far as E-mail retention is not defined as far as the technical implementation goes, and it appears that fines for this to date result from other activities besides audits. I have also found documentation showing that E-mail retention procedures (technical implementations) are not a one-size-fits-all situation and should be approached according to the size of the business. Some smaller companies merely retain backups of systems like Exchange in order to meet compliance, while larger ones must use more complicated solutions in order to create a situation where the communications are readily available for whatever legal need applies.

I still believe that a smaller public company can be fully compliant by merely archiving all incoming, outgoing and internal E-mail into capture accounts, and archiving those capture accounts in a way that they can reasonably pull any data required of them as a result of an official action.

Matt

Sanford Whiteman wrote:
Unlike...  um,  anyone  on  this list, it seems... I know firsthand
what SEC and NASD think of homegrown "compliance" solutions.

That's why you pay someone else to do it and insist that they slap on a
fancy name like "Perfect Super Uber E-mail Compliance Archive System".

If  it's  hosted  in-house,  it's  easy  to  tell  that it's homegrown
(because  the fact that it's in-house alone is often illegal). Really,
I  get  the  feeling you don't really know what passes muster and what
doesn't,  but  you're  frustrated  that a big (biggish, they're really
quite  small  in  personnel) company like GlobalRelay might be getting
some props.

I  know  you're  healthily  skeptical  of big shops hosting ostensibly
premium  software,  because  of  your  hosting  business  and boutique
approach.  But  that  doesn't  let  you blindly extend your dismissive
brush  to  other  lines  of business. Some other people know much more
about  compliance,  and  they  sure  ain't using VBScript to do it. 10
hours? You must be smokin' that good-good!

...no one should invest in something that doesn't meet regulations.

Yeah!

I  do  have  some  experience  with  the  feds, and I did work for a
multi-billion  dollar  corporation  where  my  immediate boss was in
charge  of  E-mail  for the entire company, and we were always being
sued  by  someone.

Well,  if  you  haven't  been  a  primary  participant in a compliance
audit/investigation  *specifically*  of  e-mail  archives,  you aren't
speaking  from experience. I have been part of several such processes.
That experience is where I've always been coming from on this issue: I
wouldn't  raise  a peep if I hadn't been much more intimately involved
than anyone else here.

That  was  pre-SOX though, but we all knew it was coming and that it
mostly just clarified retention policies by better defining what was
classified  as  a  covered  communication.

If   everyone's   best   guesses  were  accurate,  there  wouldn't  be
million-dollar fines handed out for inadequate archiving.

I  also have a good friend deals with bank audits on a regular basis
as  well  as  SOX compliance. When audited, they will always point a
list  of things out, and they can find fault with anything that they
choose  to  find  fault  with.  The  real trick is ensuring that you
aren't grossly negligent.

The  "real  trick"  is  not  trying to do compliance on the cheap, but
understanding  why  it  exists. Know your history. If one can't handle
the  budgetary  heat  of  being  in a regulated business, but one is a
somewhat  honest person, get out of the kitchen. On the other hand, if
one  is  dishonest  --  if  one  doesn't think late trading and market
timing  are  as immoral as non-violent business gets, and if you don't
think  it's  worth  fighting for fair business practices, even if that
means you make some sacrifices because of others' evils -- do everyone
a favor and just walk off a cliff.

Also note that congress didn't even specify retention periods within
SOX or methods of retention, this was all inferred after the fact by
combining   aspects  of  various  laws  and  regulations,  and  they
certainly  didn't  endorse  a  particular  product  for  providing a
solution.

Yeah, that's why my involvement in ACTUAL audits -- the law as applied
-- is what I draw on in my responses.

With  all  of  that  said,  I  believe  that what one does should be
compatible  with  the  dynamics  of  one's  business.  For  a single
location  entity with less than 200 employees, clearly a less robust
solution  could  manage  the task, and it could be home grown.

You  seem  to think that # of locations or # of employees is relevant.
That's  a  joke! Look at the mutual fund scandals of a couple of a few
years ago, which led to many e-mail audits. Do you understand how many
single  locations  with < 50 heads were involved? Didn't think so. And
have  you pieced together why late trading was worth every penny spent
on   its   investigation   and  prosecution,  and  subsequent  tighter
regulation?  Here's one way of looking at it: Ever see the show "Early
Edition"?  Now,  imagine if the everyday hero if that show had instead
been the Eye of Sauron.

--Sandy

Sanford Whiteman, Chief Technologist
Broadleaf Systems, a division of
Cypress Integrated Systems, Inc.
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

SpamAssassin plugs into Declude!
  http://www.imprimia.com/products/software/freeutils/SPAMC32/download/release/

Defuse Dictionary Attacks: Turn Exchange or IMail mailboxes into IMail Aliases!

http://www.imprimia.com/products/software/freeutils/exchange2aliases/download/release/

http://www.imprimia.com/products/software/freeutils/ldap2aliases/download/release/