*From:* [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] *On Behalf Of *Matt
*Sent:* Monday, March 10, 2008 5:17 PM
*To:* declude.junkmail@declude.com
*Subject:* Re: AW: AW: [Declude.JunkMail] Hardware upgrade -Software Crossgrade?

Wow. One thing immediately pops into my head...these people are greedy as hell!

Prices continue to rise with each successive version, and they continue this odd behavior of not selling software subscriptions, but instead charging 65% of the original price for upgrades. This might be all fine and dandy except for the fact that they are on a one-year upgrade cycle, they stop updating previous versions, and you don't get a support contract with your purchase. Of course this flies in the face of the reality of the market where hosting is heavily commoditized and only getting worse.

SmarterMail works well, but it's a shame that they don't understand the economies of their customers, and that works against them. I would definitely argue that by not offering a software subscription at a reasonable and standard market rate of 30% of full retail price, they fail to capture a good deal of upgrade potential and therefore upgrade revenue, and they lose goodwill by having fewer customers due to this pricing. They also lose customers by only offering 45 days (formerly 30 days) of protection for new purchases, so anyone thinking about buying it now would be better off waiting for the release just to guarantee that they weren't stuck on an unsupported version of the product. That's hugely boneheaded of them. So it would be close to a wash in revenue to do something as typical and expected as to have a software subscription for a standard market rate.