Anymore???  When were they "trusted"?

People that run a blacklist without a financial incentive generally are agressive individuals that have lost their will for tollerance, and don't want to be bothered by things like false positives. Those with easy to maintain systems (primarily automated ones based on good technique, such as CBL) deal less with problems and complaints and experiences better goodwill and results. Those with harder to maintain systems and/or bad technique likely have less tolerance for being wrong and point the finger at others much more often for their own shortcomings.

I do not believe in collateral damage because it mostly hurts innocent parties and costs them lots of time and lost business and personal communications, but most blacklists use this as a tool. I believe that purposeful/practiced collateral damage also caries with it civil liability, though we have yet to see such a case go to judgment. I have however seen many instances where blacklist maintainers wise up right before it is about to cost them legal fees.

These blacklists are free for all to use, so I don't complain too much, but I do wish that SORBS would change technique, be more receptive to reports of problems, make problems easier to report, and stop blaming those that are falsely blocked. You can't make all of the people happy all of the time when maintaining a blacklist, but they could do better. Being a Declude user, you should weight them according to not just their accuracy, but also how it mixes with other tests that you use.

Matt

David Dodell wrote:

Is SORBS not a trusted spam database anymore ... multiple stories being sent to me that they are not legitimate.

ie

http://www.iadl.org/sorbs/sorbs-story.html
http://www.natesimpson.com/blog/archives/2004/10/07/sorbs-sucks/