Humans notice, because the traffic runs through a perimeter firewall that
checks port 53 traffic against its Intrusion Protection profiles (amongst
other things).  Lately, during periods of heavy activity it's been ramping
up the CPU and memory of the perimeter firewall.  I've noticed moments of
sluggishness as a result.

My two declude servers probably handle about 250k messgaes per day, but
around 90% of that is eliminated as waste. This waste still consumes
bandwidth and DNS connections.

During those periods of heavy activity, there are about 30k connections
through the firewall, and it seems that half of them, I'm guessing, are
wasted DNS lookups.  I'm guessing this because filtering the connections
reveals heavy port 53 activity on the Declude servers.

Yes, I run local DNS on the Declude Machines, but I've notcied that the
caching isn't all that effective.  To the perimeter firewall, a lookup is a
lookup, not matter what resource asked for it.

...unless I just don't understand, in which case I welcome being tapped into
place.

-- Michael