From: Sanford Whiteman [mailto:sa...@cypressintegrated.com]
Sent: Sunday, June 19, 2011 2:14 PM
To: Declude.JunkMail@declude.com
Subject: Re: [Declude.JunkMail] white list or positive weight for a specific To
address?

> Why not use the HELO or REVDNS? REVDNS is going to be the safest
> because of the difficulty in forging it

Not  always...  if  the  domain  has a hard-fail SPF record that isn't
*itself* dependent on forgeable records (only uses IPs and forward DNS
entries),   then  the  MAILFROM  can't  successfully  impersonate  the
protected  domain (the envelope sender can still be trivially crafted,
of course, but the mail will be rejected).

However,  in  the  case  under  discussion,  declude.com's  SPF record
depends  on  the  forgeable  PTR,  so  in  this case the SPF isn't any
stronger protection than REVDNS itself.

I  would hesitate to say that there's any "difficulty" forging the PTR
as part of a targeted attack.

@   Ben,   the   MAILFROM   for   list   messages   uses   the  format
declude.junkmail-your_verp...@declude.com,  so  there  is a consistent
SMTP (RFC 821) emvelope sender to filter on.

-- Sandy

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This e-mail message and any attachments contain confidential and/or privileged
information for the sole use of the intended recipient.  If you are not the
intended recipient, you may not read, disseminate, distribute or copy this
e-mail message or any attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by
reply e-mail if you received this e-mail message by mistake and delete this
e-mail message and any attachments from your system.  E-mail transmission
cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be
intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, delayed, incomplete, or contain
viruses.  The sender, therefore, does not accept liability for any errors or
omissions in the contents of this e-mail message or any attachments, which
arise as a result of e-mail transmission.  If verification is required, please
request a hard-copy version.

-. .- -

You have received this e-mail due to a past or current transaction or as a
result of our efforts to keep you in touch with current developments affecting
your industry. If you wish to unsubscribe from any future general information
mailings, please click the 'Reply' button and add the word 'UNSUBSCRIBE' to the
subject of your response.---