Darin,

My list was really only in respect to my feelings on Declude Virus and not JunkMail.  In this perspective of both however, maybe a modification where #2 includes the potential of adding it as a test to JunkMail if it would be beneficial, and a clarification on #3 like so:
1) Active Vulnerabilities - Default to ON, and patch known exceptions that could be triggered by standard E-mail clients.  I would expect that such things would stay in this category for at least a year following a patch being released for the affected E-mail clients.

2) Inactive Vulnerabilities - Default to OFF, don't necessarily patch issues when found (judgment call).  Add code to Declude JunkMail if useful for blocking spam.  I would expect that this category would include things that were between 1 and 3 years following a patch being issued for the affected E-mail clients.

3) Removal - Remove the code from the Declude Virus part of the executable.  Depending on the conditions related to the vulnerability; i.e. commonality in exploit, potential for false positives, seriousness of flaw, etc., it would be prudent to remove the code that detects such things after 2 or more years.  Note that some of these vulnerabilities have never been actively exploited by viruses.  Being conservative about leaving the code in for long periods I think is fine because they would give people peace of mind and choice, but there is always going to be a legitimate extent to which being conservative about things reach.
I think this reflects what you have said, and in essence this is what I was indicating in the paragraph that followed.

I would definitely like to see the Outlook CR Vulnerability added to Declude JunkMail as a scoreable test since it does hit on a good deal of spam, but I won't use it in Declude Virus since I can only chose to block or pass and it has daily issues with false positives for my customer base.

Other present vulnerabilities might not justify keeping the code however.  The Outlook Boundary Space Gap vulnerability trapped a total of 8 messages that weren't otherwise detected as viruses on my system in a two week period of time, covering over 1 million scanned messages.  Of these 8 messages, all 8 were legitimate personal E-mails generated by Microsoft's own E-mail clients.  I think we could agree that if this is the long-term trend, this code would be best removed or fixed instead of being added to JunkMail.

Alternatively, if this is still a threat with this one vulnerability (I don't know), then the detection should be fixed.  The false positives were all the result of an error in Declude where the following header was properly 'folded', but Declude seemingly experienced an error in de-folding the headers which led it to believe that there were spaces within the boundary.  The 4 spaces at the beginning of the second line in this case is part of proper header folding
This vulnerability is designed to detect spaces or tabs within message boundaries, and apparently could be exploited to package attachments which Outlook clients would read.  The above example is not an example of exploitable code.
RFC 2912 - http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2912.html
3.1 Whitespace and folding long headers

   In some circumstances, media feature expressions can be very long.

   According to "A Syntax for Describing Media Feature Sets" [1],
   whitespace is allowed between lexical elements of a media feature
   _expression_.  Further, RFC822/MIME [4,5] allows folding of long
   headers at points where whitespace appears to avoid line length
   restrictions.

   Therefore, it is recommended that whitespace is included as
   permitted, especially in long media feature expressions, to
   facilitate the folding of headers by agents that do not otherwise
   understand the syntax of this field.
For this to have been the vulnerability, the whitespace would have needed to have been within the quotes that defined the boundary and not before it.

Matt

Darin Cox wrote:
Hi Matt,

I think most of us always consider the "greater good" before making requests... and by their nature, most requests from one person have benefit to many others.

I think the recommendation you outlined below is fairly good...but again, I would not like to see potentially valuable tests removed.  Defaulting to off is good, but removing doesn't make sense when there's value in the test.  Other than an occasional Partial vulnerability, I see no false positives with vulnerabilities from our user base.

I do think your point about moving the code from Virus over to Junkmail is a good one when it is no longer an active vulnerability.  I would just hate to see a valuable test removed, and again, we see a decent amount of spam caught by Virus that doesn't get caught by our Junkmail config.

Code can easily be broken in moving from one place to another (Virus to Junkmail), so this may be a maintenance problem that it is desirable to avoid.  However, deprecated vulnerabilities could potentially be more valuable there for use in weighting or combo tests to identify particular spammers and assist with detecting their payloads.

I think this all falls under the "The more info we have about a message, the better we can classify it" category.  Indeed, one of the main reasons we haven't migrated to SmarterMail is the unavailability of the CMDSPACE test.  We find much of the strength in Declude is due to the variety of special tests Scott was able to come up with.

So, with the caveat of not performing Item 3 in your list (Removal), it sounds very good to me.

It's nowhere near #1 on my list either...just didn't want anything useful to disappear.

Darin.