Markus,

I believe that this is something that several of us railed against and tried to get F-Prot to change. Formerly no known viruses would be tagged with an exit code of 8, but then they suddenly started tagging some known viruses this way, essentially requiring us to add that code in for detection. The downside of this is that this exit code also blocks things like encrypted zips. It was a real shame.

It's worth checking to see if F-Prot is tagging more recent known viruses with exit code 8 because if they are no longer doing this, I would assume that turning it off would be wise so long as you had two virus scanners running.

Note that I'm not dismissing your primary intention of pointing out the FP issue with virus scanning and a way to deal with it.

Matt

Markus Gufler wrote:

Today I've had a message hold as false positive ("unknown virus" exit code
8)

F-Prot seems ending with this exit code if there is attached a password
protected zip file and in the body is something like

"password: ....."

This message was definitively no false positive and so I requeued it.

I've noted it due the low number of postmaster virus warnings I receive
because they are send to me only if the detected virus is not a forging one.
Fortunately this legit message wasn't deleted from the virus folder between
thousands of unwanted netsky's and sober's.

Markus

---
[This E-mail was scanned for viruses by Declude EVA www.declude.com]

[This E-mail was scanned for viruses by Declude EVA www.declude.com]