From: supp...@declude.com [mailto:supp...@declude.com] On Behalf Of Andy Schmidt
Sent: Wednesday, June 03, 2009 10:12 AM
To: declude.virus@declude.com
Subject: RE: [Declude.Virus] Declude Virus inoperable for 13% of th year?

Hi,

Oh, now you really got me going.

>> Declude Virus does not have a built in system to report this error as with
>> this specific example <<

The problem is not the hard-coded expiration itself. Clearly, when this API
(including the hardcoded expiry) was originally implemented, the fact that
there was an expiry was a known fact to that developer - cause (s)he added it.
Whoever wrote this API implementation simply was too lazy to properly handle
and report on the condition that absolutely was going to occur with 100%
certainty on 4/10. That's a programming 101 and this flaw must be fixed, not
"discussed". It's when an Anti-Virus product doesn't report that it has decided
to stop detecting viruses.

>> how much more are you prepared to pay for your service agreement <<

Nice try, but to me, money is secondary to function. I rather would pay
appropriate maintenance for a product that is enhanced with features (as it was
in the first few years when I had purchased it) than to pay a lesser annual
maintenance for a dormant product! However, I'm NOT willing to pay a company
just so that they can pursue OTHER technical, legal and marketing ventures
INSTEAD of enhancing the product.

The problem with Declude is that they lost focus - this instance makes this
painfully obvious!

>> increase our prices dramatically so we can hire more developers <<

Let's get real. I remember looking at your web site a while ago and seeing a
huge roster of "management". I also remember web site project and other
products being launched and initating legal actions. Here's what you need:

Start laying off managers and other supervisory staff, cut the retainers for
your attorneys, etc.  and don't stop until you have enough money to finally pay
ONE full time developer that actually works on continually enhancing the
product we are all paying for and gets as much done as the original author of
the product did for YEARS. Once caught up with 3 years of backlog, then sell me
the upgrade!)

You don't need "additional" personnel - you to need replace overhead-personnel
with production personnel.

I suspect the problem is not "lack" of funds but "diversion" of it.

Best Regards,
Andy