I have a Delphi 4 app that uses .dbf files via the BDE.  Normally it
works fine but for a select group of clients with larger than normal
data tables I have discovered a probelm.  Their Item table has about
90,000 thousand records and if they use the app to add items it
crashes after about 15 records have been added.

Adding items also causes several other tables to have records added
as well.  The table are not closed between each addition

The error I get is
   "Read failure
     (Path and name of Item table)

(Note that I don't get this problem with tables with 12,000 records
dispite adding 100s of records in one session  but have not worked
out at what point it does start!)

Following sound advise that my code was at fault I searched it for
errors.  Then I ran Memory Sleuth over it.  Interestingly enough,
after adding each entry, Sleuth returns that there is 517,824 bytes
in uses and 7119 pointers active.  I read this as no problems!

However after entering about the right number of records for the
fault to occur  -  it did (showing figures of 518,188 & 7125 at the
actual instance).

Changing the database isn't an option.  Is it the BDE or something
else completely??  What other tests should I mount?

Steven

Wild Software Ltd
P O Box 33-216
Christchurch
NEW ZEALAND

I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.