All right so let me explore BDE settings:  In my DBF tables I only
use Number, Character, Date, and Logical field types.  There are no
memo fields so no DBT files.  I use standard MDX production index
files.  The indexes involved in this prolem are all field rather than
expression indexes.

The configuration of the DBASE native driver in the BDE (5.01) is as
follows:

Version:           4.0
Type:              File
LangDriver:     dbase ENU cp437
Level               5
MDX Block size:         1024
Memo file block size:   1024

I can't necessarily justify any of these settings and am prepared to
experiment if someone can give some direction!

Steven