He, he :-) I thought I'd add a couple of my thoughts on the grid.

Max wrote a view-only grid from scratch (ie no VCL Grid code) and then I
inherited from that to make a grid into which you can drop any control. Yes,
any control can be dropped into a cell. (The control must inherit from
TWinControl, although I could even have handled TControl with a bit more
time).

Because of our clean design for keyboard handling (through CM_CHILDKEY) we
can use keys to move around the grid _without_ having to patch the control.
No special messages are needed (unlike the ControlGrid in the VCL), all that
is required is for the control to properly implement CM_CHILDKEY.

If the control in a cell has DataSource and DataField properties then the
grid sets them up for you. At design time the first row of the grid shows
the cell editors which you can click on and set properties as per normal
Delphi Form designer.

So whats my point? Just that Delphi could stand some improvement and this
improvement is achievable! If we could do it at Profax then Inprise can
certainly do it. Maybe they should have hired us (hey thats not a silly idea
:-)

BTW: I did not read earlier messages in this thread :)

Over the last three months I have talked to quite a few development
companies around Auckland and I have seen two attitudes: if they are still
using Delphi then they will stick with it come hell or high water, if they
are not using Delphi then it is because Delphi does not a offer enough of an
advantage over the Microsoft tools to go "outside" the norm. Often they have
dabbled with Delphi but judged it only slightly better than VB. Hey, can you
blame them when all the VCL controls (edit, listbox, combo) are just the
standard Windows controls and the RAD database stuff (data-aware controls)
is a copy of VB/Access (bound controls)!

I find it amusing that Access/VB programmers often don't use the bound
controls for real work, just like Delphi programmers dump data-aware when
using SQL.

PS: I no longer work at Profax, the cost of developing all those nifty new
controls and other VCL replacements was too high. I am now doing C++
contracting :-)