An old trick was to pre-sort your input records into descending sequence
before loading - worked last time I tried it.

Steve Galyer

-----Original Message-----
From: Aaron Scott-Boddendijk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Multiple recipients of list delphi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Monday, 9 August 1999 14:46
Subject: Re: [DUG]: DBF updating slow

> While appending bulk records to a dbf file we have found that the process
> slows to a crawl after about 1000 records.  Closing and re-opening the
> tables does not help.  Shutting down the application and restarting does
> help.  We have tried dbiSaveChanges also di nothing to speed it up.

You're not posting twice are ya ;)

on a more serious note
Does the delay seem to be increasing drive activity? if it's not then it's
not the
search logic for record insertion and I'd return to checking your insertion
code
to make sure that there's not a memory leak - say something like creating a
new database connection each time without closing the last or perhaps object
construction each iteration that could be cached for the whole process...
LIkely to
need an example snippet to get any furthur down the guesstimate track.

1. Open Exclusively if at all possible.
2. Ensure that no live datacontrols are connected to your exclusive dataset.
3. don't dbiSaveChanges every iteration since the table is exclusive no-one
else
    can mess with it anyway.

--
Aaron Scott-Boddendijk