Hi Tony,

Tony Blomfield wrote:

> 1. Is this really "Thin" technology is per my earlier goal statement.

Not sure what your earlier goal statement was - see my comment about coming into
the thread 1/2 way.

> 2. Financially the only winners in this race are Borland. From what I read
> there is absolutely NO financial incentive for me to go down this road.
> Loosly put, anybody including the end user can buy this product at exactly
> the same price as me. It also looks like using this technology puts me in a
> competitive situation with Borland rather than a Technology
> supplier/Developer relationship. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Except for scenario two (where you get discount for buying in bulk) you are not
wrong. It is unusual for end users to purchase the CORBA ORB tho...

> 3. There seems to be a hell of a learning curve, deployment appears complex,
> and the overall solution looks very complicated with lots of potential to go
> wrong. This looks thin from the perspective that a small app can be deployed
> on the client end, but seriously, is the network traffic thin?

In terms of the actual amount of data that is transmitted? That depends on your
design and the components that you use. You can have a design that performs
worse that client/server if you like, but you can also control the data traffic
quite heavily. MIDAS gives you a lot of control (through PacketRecords and only
sending data) but MIDAS uses any transport it can lay its hands on (tcp/ip,
corba, com, oleenterprise). CORBA is much more low level than MIDAS (which
concentrates on the moving of data).

Regarding the learning curve of the technologies, I don't believe that to
understand much of it is really a problem - the concepts aren't really very
tricky... The deployment appears complex, but I don't believe that it is. MIDAS
requires DBCLIENT.DLL to be registered on the client & server machine (you can
normally get your installation script to do this) and the CORBA stuff doesn't
require any registration whatsoever - it just goes (as Kerry says).

How many people would be interested in a day course on CORBA and MIDAS?
(Probably Auckland + Wellington) If I get some serious feedback, then I can
probably convince Annie to put it on... We can cover all the bases I believe in
a single day. Just interest at this stage - don't let cost be an issue, ask
yourself if you are interested in learning about this stuff.

Richard

--
Richard Vowles, Senior Systems Engineer,
Inprise New Zealand