I agree with all the comments made about CORBA.

ie
Yes it can be very thin in terms of network traffic or quite thick.

You can use free CORBA orbs, but then their is an additional learning or
implementation curve instead of using the Visibroker ORB that is integrated
(to some extent) into Delphi - you really need to know C++ or Java to  use a
free ORB - they are only available in these flavours.

Yes there is a learning curve, but their is a bigger payoff (or gain in
productivity) at the end of it and in flexibility - it is more suitable for
Larger projects.

If you want to make stuff really thin, then you must at some stage cache
data on the users (client) PC and only update it when there is a change in
the same data on the server - this can be very effective for all those
lookup tables that don't change very often - depends on the application to
some extent.

Myles.