> Whats the 'never make the user look stupid rule'.
Ever got frustrated at a piece of software - why?

> It possibly related to the 'never make the pupil feel
> anything but sucessful rule' which is churning out students who can't
deal with > the real world...
No, but the above is definitely related to the old 'young people today
can't read, write or respect their elders' argument - which was seen in
letters to the editor about 100 years ago.

> I write software..in a style..and I don't condescend to users
Doh - got to be flame-bait because the word 'elitist' springs to mind.
Personally I try to listen to my users.  For a good explaination of the
never make a user look stupid rule see 'User Interfaces' by Alan Cooper
or 'The Psychology of Everyday Things' (POET) by somebody...

BTW - Nick, I have 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance' written
by Robert M Persig <sp> which I can lend you. Required reading for
post-grad comp-sci at Otago...

Grant Black BSc (Com Sci)
Team Leader - PC Tools
SmartMove (NZ) Ltd