From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On
Behalf Of Grant, Alex
Sent: Thursday, 23 September 1999 10:43
To: Multiple recipients of list delphi
Subject: [DUG]: possible conflict between Delphi 4 and DUN1.3

I believe there may be some kind of conflict between Delphi 4 and the DUN1.3
patch.

I had Delphi 4 (with update pack 3) running OK. Then I installed a
collection of patches from Microsoft, including the DUN1.3 patch.
In total, I applied
MS Y2K check
Outlook98 Importer Field Mapping
Outlook98 Security Patch
IE4.01 SP2
DUN1.3
Windows95 IP Driver for WinSock2 (vipup20.exe)
Windows95 Y2K update
DUN Y2K Update
Euro Currency Update
Corporate Y2K update
Office 97 SP2
Data Access Components 2.1

I assume it was the DUN1.3 patch as it changes wsock32.dll. I could be wrong
about this.
I have applied these to several (>10) other computers with no problems
However, on this machine with Delphi 4, IE stopped working. If you attempt
to view a non-local site it comes up with

        Internet Explorer cannot open the site http://www.microsoft.com
        An internal error occurred in the Windows Internet extensions

I could not resolve this problem, so in the end I formatted the drive
reinstalled Windows, reapplied the patches and tried to install Delphi.

Delphi, however, would perform an illegal operation every time in the
installation routine when it tried to register self-registering items
namely:

        _INS5176 caused an invalid page fault in
        module WSOCK32.DLL at 0137:5560ddea.

It would, however recover from the error and finish the install routine.

I got the same problem attempting to uninstall Delphi - another illegal
operation

        ISUNINST caused an invalid page fault in
        module WSOCK32.DLL at 0137:5560ddea.

I found a posting in borland.install.delphi about this problem
http://x36.deja.com/threadmsg_if.xp?thitnum=47&AN=522188111.1&mhitnum=1&CONT
EXT=937544147.447676496
that suggested using regsvr32 to unregister wsock32.dll. This would not
work:

        wsock32.dll was loaded, but the DllUnregisterServer entry point was
not found.

        DllUnregisterServer may not be exported, or a corrupt version of
        wsock32.dll may be in memory. Consider using PView to detect and
        remove it.

At this point IE was still running fine.

Eventually after much fiddling with adding and removing DUN1.3, TCP/IP,
wsock32.dll, I got Delphi to install successfully. And bang! IE stopped
working (same problem). Just to add to the confusion, I have another machine
with all the patches, running Delphi 4 and IE with no problems.

Has anyone else run into this problem or know of a solution?

Alex Grant, IT Coordinator
PB Power
http://www.pbpower.co.nz