There is several things you could try.

Another message to check for is WM_NCHITTEST.

Other nasty solutions would be to set the focus to an invisible tool popup
window that does not release its mouse capture - I have achieve this by
mistake.

On your main form you could override these, or at least respond to these
messages.

{This is from TControl }.
    procedure WMLButtonDown(var Message: TWMLButtonDown); message
WM_LBUTTONDOWN;
    procedure WMNCLButtonDown(var Message: TWMNCLButtonDown); message
WM_NCLBUTTONDOWN;
    procedure WMRButtonDown(var Message: TWMRButtonDown); message
WM_RBUTTONDOWN;
    procedure WMMButtonDown(var Message: TWMMButtonDown); message
WM_MBUTTONDOWN;
    procedure WMLButtonDblClk(var Message: TWMLButtonDblClk); message
WM_LBUTTONDBLCLK;
    procedure WMRButtonDblClk(var Message: TWMRButtonDblClk); message
WM_RBUTTONDBLCLK;
    procedure WMMButtonDblClk(var Message: TWMMButtonDblClk); message
WM_MBUTTONDBLCLK;
    procedure WMMouseMove(var Message: TWMMouseMove); message WM_MOUSEMOVE;
    procedure WMLButtonUp(var Message: TWMLButtonUp); message WM_LBUTTONUP;
    procedure WMRButtonUp(var Message: TWMRButtonUp); message WM_RBUTTONUP;
    procedure WMMButtonUp(var Message: TWMMButtonUp); message WM_MBUTTONUP;
    procedure WMCancelMode(var Message: TWMCancelMode); message
WM_CANCELMODE;