> I recently saw a demo (using VB) where an Excel S/S was called, a couple of
> numbers poked in, and the outputs pulled out.   If VB can do it, I'm sure Delphi can
>too !!

Delphi can but doing so by hand is tiresome.  Try taking a look at the TAdvExcel
component,
it's on the DSP or someone here is sure to have the authors homepage.  It's very fast,
tidy and
we've used is a fair bit now for pumping tabulated data through delphi into a database.

> I've not done anything like this before.   Where should I start ?   DDE ?   OLE ?
>Does
> anyone have a sample app or snippet of code that would help ?   I have several Delphi
> books, but doesn't really help me on this one.

OLE and DDE are both available... DDE is faster I think, OLE certainly isn't fast
without using
some quite involved speedup techniques (which TAdvExcel does very, very well).

It also worth checking out the Servers Tab of Delphi5 which has OLE/COM components for
accessing Word and Excel (and Outlook etc)...

While we're on the subject, how do you register an .olb or .tlb file.  I have Word
here which I can
import the .olb into Delphi 4 fine but can't use the early-binding on machine's
without the .olb
installed.. Copying the .olb onto the target machine doesn't seem to do it... I have
similar issues
with the early-binding components on the servers tab for D5 evaluation, I simply can't
connect to
word using them and I suspect it's the word instllation of the .olb file that's
missing... I'm not an
OLE/COM guru and don't have a good refernce available to explain the mechanism.

--
Aaron Scott-Boddendijk
Jump Productions