On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, David O'Brien wrote:

> HKEY_CURRENT_USER shouldn't be a problem, LOCAL_MACHINE is.
> OpenKeyReadOnly does the trick though. Also you could try RegEdt32,
> and give the users access to the key you want.

The client in question is running Win2K Terminal Services, so I dont know
if its anything specific to TS, but the normal users he's created don't
seem to be able to add keys to HKEY_CURRENT_USER (via regedit), I tried
looking around the active Directory users thing to try find something that
mentioned security options but got compleatly lost.

Whats the default security model on W2k?  HKLM read only to normal users,
but HKCU read/write, or both read only?  I did notice that the machines to
not remember run history, etc. etc. so I'm guessing he's made a change
somewhere to limit the registry settings (its a cybercafe, so he doesn't
really want user session info saved).

Using OpenKeyReadOnly should work as once the registry valuyes are set
that all thats stored in the registry (ADO Connection String and a
filename).

Thanks :)
Mark