> Well, I just want to say congrats to Nic Wise for a demo well done, whilst
> still very much a "beta" product, it certainly works, although I was
> interested in the lack of a bidirectional cursor for the queries - Nic -
> any chance you could explain what was happening there?  I assume dbExpress
> is designed differently...
>
> Was good to see the CGI creation working in the browser without hassle as
> well, after the demo Moira (sp?) pointed out she didn't think much of it
> for a web-programming environment, and whist I've only done minor stuff
> with the web side of delphi, I'm inclined to agree with her for small
> projects - but can also see where delphi/kylix would shine in this area
> for larger projects (mostly due to the database and oop model available)
> through object pascal.
>
> I'm definitely looking forward to a release of this...

Personally, I think anything that get's between my text editor and my
interpreter is a waste of time. But that's just me.
The main advantage I can see with Kylix is getting all the start button
monkeys developing software for linux (I didn't say that was a good
thing).

I was talking to Scott about doing a talk on Caudium
(http://www.caudium.net/), which is a GPL web server project using Pike
and C.

There is talk of making Caudium the official GNU web server, because
Apache isn't under the GPL and because www.gnu.org used to run on Spinner
(see the history on caudium.net).

One of Caudium's greatest advantages is the fact that it has a built in
XML based scripting language (called RXML) which is very easy to use for
simple projects, and because the webserver is written in Pike it is really
simple to extend.

James Tyson ---
Samizdat New Media Solutions