From: Martin Paulo [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> I am also very pleased to see C#. It validates my decision to adopt Delphi
> all those years ago! It will also, as you state, force the multitude to
> become aware of the power of Delphi. However they will know it as the
power
> of C#! And having learnt C#, what gain is there in learning Delphi?

Delphi's biggest problem currently is people's ignorance of it, ie. they
don't use anything similar, they don't know how it works, it's too foreign
to learn, and therefore they don't like it and they don't trust it.  This is
human nature.  But now it's much easy to explain: "It's just like C# only
better"!  Ok, so maybe C++ Builder will reap a lot of the benefits too -
that doesn't trouble me in the least.  But I think VB programmers will find
Delphi more natural than C in any form.

If C# ever becomes better than Delphi, it won't be so great for Borland.
But either way, we programmers can't lose can we?  Unless the Java
juggernaut makes everything else obsolete, that is.

> I am not writing of Delphi if Linux succeeds. But I think that as Delphi
> users we all need to be more proactive about promoting Linux!

I need much much much more convincing.  I have yet to see Delphi running on
Linux (and a few brief demos don't count).  The Linux community is happy to
see Delphi, but is understandably skeptical.  I am in no hurry to promote
Linux to "save Delphi".  Kylix is a huge gamble - it may pay off hugely and
it may all come to nought.  So lets review that suggestion two years down
the track. :-)

In a way it might even make more sense to promote Delphi to save Linux,
rather than the other way around. ;-)

Cheers,
Carl