Jim,

If you're still having problems, have you looked at the Zeos components?

They include direct API access to popular db's including MS SQL.

I can't get onto their web site (http://www.zeoslib.org/) just now but an
extract from the readme is:

Zeos Database Objects is a Delphi's components set for direct
access to OpenSource databases: MySql, PostgreSql and Interbase.
Also we propose components for direct access to commerce
databases: MS SQL and Oracle.

Reading their source code may help,

Alternatively, you could use ADO.
If you don't have Delphi 5 Enterprise, have a look at the freeware
components at http://www.alohaoi.com.
I used them on a small project recently and had no problems.

The advantage with both of the above methods is you get TDataSet
descendants.

regards,
Steve