Theres not a lot more the desktop user could ask for from what I can see :)
(plugging away in VB as I write).

Thanks for the insight and I look forward to some positive discussion.

-----Original Message-----
From: Alan Rose [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 31 May 2001 17:03
To: Multiple recipients of list delphi
Subject: [DUG]: D6 Product Launch

Having seen the D6 product launch today in Chch I'd be keen to hear what
other people on this list felt about the new D6. I'd like to start off by
saying thank you to Borland for putting the event on today. The speaker John
K. (Sorry name escapes me) did a wonderful job of demonstrating D6. That is
apart from the odd glitch which left me wondering if a service pack is
needed sooner rather than later. Glitches aside D6 seems to me to have made
great inroads in providing a powerful web development tool (Based around
their SNAP technology). Not surprising given most of the new technology is
net based. Can't help but think even in-house development could benefit a
lot from these tools with an intranet structure. A great demo by John using
the familiar fish facts Db showed how easy it was to create a simple browser
application with edit capabilities.

Not so much new stuff for the desktop developer, but there is added support
for cross development with Linux and the IDE has been spruced up with some
nice new features. Interesting also to see also there is a new XML database
engine and other cool XML features that make D6 very attractive if you are
thinking of using XML. Makes working with XML a whole lot more attractive
and significantly easier. In another demo they took an XML document and with
a few mouse clicks had created a Clientdataset with field defs all nicely
setup for you to work with. Other features that caught my eye was web server
debugger and the ease at which interfaces where      created for you. In the
past you had to do most of this by hand. Any concerns I had about Delphi's
future have been put aside today and I look forward to working with D6.

P.S. No I am not on the Borland pay roll just impressed by today's seminar.
Cheers