Dave,

I'm not very experienced with MS SQL Server but I've just been down that
same track a couple of weeks ago.

I tried various solutions including BDE,ODBC,native API, direct ADO without
components, but what worked best for me was actually some freeware ADO
components found at: http://www.alohaoi.com

One of the reasons was it is relatively easy to distribute, and required no
setup on the clients apart from a shortcut to the exe on the server and
checking they all had IE5 installed for the ADO stuff. i.e. no need to set
up ODBC datasource or install SQL Server client etc.

regards,
Steve