Go with ADO.  BDE via ODBC is OK, but stay away from SQLLinks.

> The BDE doesn't seem to connect while SQL Server is running. Keeps telling
> me the file is in use, or the parameter is incorrect.

The only way to connect to SQL server is when it is running!  Perhaps you
have your database in single user mode?  IN any case it ought not to report
that a file in use.  Are you sure you've got all the BDE settings correct?
You are not trying to connect to the SQL Server database directly, are you?

Regards,
Dennis.