> I have a component that gets a value back from a DLL.
> The value is a Date BUT it can sometimes be just zero.
>
> Do I go
>
> try
>     myDate:=GetDateFromDll;
> except
>     myDate:=now
> end;

what are the types of myDate and GetDateFromDll?  TDateTime?

normally you don't get an exception if you assign a TDateTime
value (even if it's zero).    I just tried this:

   procedure test;
   var mydate:TDateTime;
   begin
     mydate:=0.0;
   end;

and it doesn't raise an exception.

What you are describing sounds like something that happens
when you try to convert a String to a TDate via StrToDate
or something like that.

Am I missing something?

-ns