Delphi freezing like this is usually due to problems with video drivers and
Image lists. To test this turn off all hardware acceleration and try again.
If it still fails then this is probably not the problem. Otherwise you need
to look and your video drivers, an hardware acceleration options to get it
to work without compromising too much.

Stacey