To all those that replied to my plea for help.. really appreciated.. thanks
I'd located the article by Rudy, and the one from  Steve Trefethen, and your extra notes have helped..

Ian Drower

Jeremy North wrote:
Rudy Velthuis has released an IDE expert to perform the same behaviour
that the old Install Package did.

http://rvelthuis.de/programs/compinstall.html

The "Installing Component Packages" index in the Delphi 2007 (haven't
checked other versions) leads to the "Working with Packages and
Components: Overview" topic which has a number of sub topics which I'm
sure is full of useful information.