What I have found useful  when I was evaluating looking at the Delphi
crossCLX thingie (and some people don;t seem to realise this) you can
establish a Linux environment (any number of flavours of them) and load one
by one into a Virtual Box.

If you make an application with special requirements, you can get Ubuntu and
Fedorra (Redhat community edition) to compile a linux install of your Linux
environemnt (your application intact) and distribute under the appropriate
license.

With out thinking (dangerous?) I am sure this would apply to Free Pascal and
Lazarus as well.

In our guests' area we have a linux box for visitors to surf the web, do
thier emails etc ...

I've just got "The Official Ubuntu Book" out of the local Library (amazing
source of stuff you can interlaon from the National Library - try before you
buy) In it they point out that Edubuntu (and Ubuntu) makes available an LTSP
environment that can even co-exist with a Windows DHCP server. This allows
the old master slave type terminal situation, except its full GUI - need a
good powerful server - but it has been working in thousands of schools,
municipalities and situations all over the world for some time now.

We are being eclipsed on Windows, there is a whole generation of children
growing up in Ubuntu and like releases in many places.

If you have a client who needs data processing terminals or like (even
internet cafes are using it), your slave machines do not even need a
harddrive in them! Ethernet boot (takes me back to the future).

I must emphesise this is not theroretical, it is in production and used ALL
OVER the world sucesfully right now!

Wait for this (P. 361 of the 2nd Edition 2007 - and they've improved since
then) -- "Generally, a machine runnig a 400Mhz processor with 128RAM will
make an excellant thin client."

You get a full desktop! Sound, internet of course, streaming video if you
set up correctly.  Only one machine to administer, the rest are clones, but
they can use USB devices etc., and individual user logins Unix style.

You can run a hybrid network, run linux in Virtual Boxes for special
applications, multi boot,, side by side, what ever you want, and its
scalible right to the corporate environement - and its already happening!

I think the Delphi roadmap is taking us to Linux, and Lazarus does it, so it
looks good for what I now consider to be  ...

"The Pascal Community".

Paul