From: delphi-boun...@delphi.org.nz [mailto:delphi-boun...@delphi.org.nz] On
Behalf Of Jolyon Smith
Sent: Tuesday, 1 February 2011 10:51 a.m.
To: 'NZ Borland Developers Group - Delphi List'
Subject: Re: [DUG] Delphi Starter Edition

Malcolm, NZ doesn't have a specific store listed in the "Buy Online" section
of the Embarcadero site, so I was using the AUD prices quoted on the
AUSTRALIA store.  Should we (in NZ) be using the South East Asia store
instead?

That's not much better - in fact it's exactly the same as the AUD store,
since the ASEAN site charges US$194 for the *UPGRADE* and US$260 for a new
Starter license (US$260 == NZ$336).

Conor's link to the "International USD Store" is the most promising in terms
of avoiding being gouged as an NZ customer, but I am deeply troubled by this
caveat on the order confirmation page of that store:

        "The End-User License Agreement (EULA) limits usage of the
         product to the country of purchase. Any usage of Embarcadero
         products outside the country of purchase is not permitted and
         may result in suspension or termination of the license
         without any refund."

1) it is not entirely clear what the "Country of Purchase" is.  Embarcadero
are a US company, Digital River (who operate the store) are seemingly
simultaneously a Luxembourg and an Irish company, and my billing address is
New Zealand.  What if I were to use a UK credit card, whilst being resident
in NZ (there being no provision for specifically identifying the "Country of
Purchase" for my own purposes) ?  Or what if I had bought a license whilst
travelling ?  e.g. Using an NZ credit card whilst in AU or the US ?

2) the ability to revoke licenses if I subsequently leave the "Country of
Purchase" (where-ever that may be) is deeply offensive not to mention
potentially highly disruptive and expensive (and therefore a disincentive)
and arguably a violation of Article 17 of the Universal Declaration of Human
Rights (ianal and don't have the declaration committed to memory - I simply
seemed to recall some provision for the right to enjoy personal property so
looked it up to see, and Article 17 would appear to be what I was
remembering)

I know this is an old sore, and things are routinely more expensive in NZ
(though not in all cases - check out Domino's Pizza prices in the UK vs NZ
for example - LOL).  But in most cases, the overheads of importation and
distribution and the provision of local support and services in relation to
a product do at least go some part toward explaining, if not entirely
excusing, the higher prices here.

But electronically delivered software with no local presence/support has no
such excuses, imho.