@Mark
With your 'exclude-area' idea you are referring to something like
Orchestra's <o:separateConversationContext>, right? I think this could be a
really interesting feature for some usecases and we
should definitively support it.

Regarding the auto detection for links that have to be decorated: I'm not
really sure if there is a need to explicitly configure a set of domains for
this. I guess the decorating is somehow similar to what
HttpServletResponse.encodeURL() does and would even be implemented by
wrapping it (or the corresponding stuff in ExternalContext), correct? So
why don't we simply decorate all links that go though encodeURL unless we
are in an exclude area case?

Christian