David Van Couvering wrote:

>   I assumed Eclipse had a reason for going this route.  To be honest,
> I am concerned that we are trying to bend over backwards for the
> Eclipse folks when we should be telling them how to use this in the
> right way.

Actually I wanted to clarify here that the original request came not
from Eclipse, but from the folks making the Derby plugin for Eclipse,
which is a thing that actually exists so I assume that they found a
workaround.  I  thought it would be nice (and easy) to avoid the exit
from  the main method and possibly helpful, so filed the bug in Jira and
I thought someone might want to pick it up.  So,  you might find it  is
not worth the time to pursue if it is hard or messy which it looks like
this might be.   My concern is that you might be bending over backwards
for exactly nobody.

> This of course hinges on whether or not the exit status of a VM is
> defined when you throw an exception (or not) from main().  If it's
> well-defined, then we can just have main() throw Exception and be done
> with it.

agreed.

> I'll try to get an answer from the J2SE folks.  In meanwhile I'll put
> this task on hold and go work on something else :)

Sounds like a good  plan. Thanks for looking at this and thanks to all
for catching the fact that throwing an Exception from main  might not be
a standard  thing to do.  If it is,  that would be great and we could do
the same sort of thing for ij and the other tools.  If not, I think your
idea of a standardized inteface is a good one if  you or someone else
thinks it is worth the effort.

Kathey