Thanks, Craig and Stefan. The problem ended up being a gmail behavior, not a Thunderbird behavior. Gmail switches your From address back to your gmail address no matter how you try to override it via your email tool. I managed to get the message through by sending it from my Comcast account and overriding the From address. I have documented this behavior at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-15311 and https://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/ReleasePublication