Ole Solberg wrote:
> Kathey Marsden wrote:
>> Jean T. Anderson wrote:

>>> It would be easy for http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_downloads.html to
>>> point to an index of nightly builds on
>>> http://www.multinet.no/~solberg/public/
>>>
>>> It's hard to automatically rebuild the web site nightly to point to each
>>> specific new build (more details below).
>>>

>> These two lings are farily static I think:
>>  The 10.1 builds are at:
>>
>> http://www.multinet.no/~solberg/public/Apache/Derby-10.1/builds/
>>
>> The trunk  builds (10.2) are at:
>> http://www.multinet.no/~solberg/public/Apache/Derby/builds/
>>
>> and should be separately linked from the downloads page.
>> We wouldn't need a new link until 10.2 branched.
>

> I agree that we should just have links from the Derby downloads page to
> "my" Derby/builds/ and Derby-10.1/builds/ pages.
> When we get another branch we will have to do some manual updates both
> to the Derby download page and "my" pages anyway.

infrequent updates to the derby web aren't any problem at all -- and any
committer can make them, incidently.

I'm looking at http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html, and here's the
wording regarding builds:

> # Builds are not official Apache releases. All releases require due process
> and official approval. Distributions which are not officially blessed are
> termed builds.
>
>     * Nightly Builds are simply built from HEAD once a day. These are
> intended to allow those without access to Apache code repositories to access
> the latest code. Of course, these come with no guarantees concerning quality.

How about this wording for a new "Nightly Builds" section on
http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_downloads.html .

  Unofficial nightly builds are available from the links below:

   * 10.1 : http://www.multinet.no/~solberg/public/Apache/Derby-10.1/builds/
   * development trunk:
http://www.multinet.no/~solberg/public/Apache/Derby/builds/

  Nightly builds are generated automatically and there is no guarantee
that they will actually work! Production systems should *always* use the
official release.

tight enough? need additional wording?

 -jean