Myrna van Lunteren wrote:

On 2/22/06, *Øystein Grøvlen* <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:

    Andrew McIntyre wrote:

    > Great, let's take it one step further. Why don't we remove the
    > frameworks directory. Completely. All the scripts there are for
    > running the above three classes, and NetworkServerControl, which we
    > also recently added the ability to run with -jar. Perhaps we could
    > have a top-level bin directory with a simple readme on how to
    run the
    > tools.

    I would think there might be applications that currently depend on
    these
    scripts.  They would break if the scripts are removed.

    --
    Øystein

It's a point...Although I always thought of the scripts as more of a 'sample' type file, I would expect a production application to need additional things, like their own jars, additional settings and the like, and/or have the jars in another place than the derby-home dir as indicated by the scripts... Myrna

I agree with Oystein. I do think there are customers who use these scripts--they are not just viewed by everyone as sample files. I also think that it's very common to have a bin directory that contains scripts like these. In particular, I believe that users expect to see a startserver script or executable in a bin directory. My opinion is that we keep the scripts (with appropriate clean up), but move them to a bin directory under DERBY_HOME where they will be easier to find.

Kathy