The client messages.properties file will only have messages used by the client. In particular, it will have all messages whose ids start with "XJ", as well as a select list which are specified in splitmessages.java.

So you won't have the entire 71K properties file on the client side.

David

Satheesh Bandaram wrote:

David W. Van Couvering wrote:

The potential drawback is that the client-specific messages are now in
engine-side properties files, which can increase the overall footprint
of derby.jar.  My estimate is there will be no more than 200 messages
(MAX) that are client-specific, and possibly quite fewer -- I am
finding many opportunities for reuse of existing messages.

How about client footprint? If we have a single message file that
included all server and client messages, wouldn't that increase client
footprint a lot? Potentially there could be multiple copies of the
message files in CLASSPATH to support different languages?

derbyLocale_fr, for example, seems to be 71K in size.

Satheesh

Thoughts on this are much appreciated.

David