As just a lurker on the list, I'm not sure that I should even offer
anything here, but what's the fun unless you have your poker in the
coals....

I'll avoid throwing any weight (i have none, remember the lurker
status) behind one coding style or the other (TABS must DIE [note, this
doesn't count as weight in any form due to the aforementioned avoidance
clause]), but I do have something that might help (other than :set et<cr>
:set ts=4).

I've had to draft several somewhat formal coding standards for different
projects / companies and would be more than happy to throw one out there
as a starting point.

It covers most things and a few others as well.

I'm sure that when burned, it will create flames at least hot enough to
make me run screaming back into lurkersville.

If interested, I would be happy to post a version of it in all the
needed formats.

Also, I am well aware that anything i find remotely funny is far from
anything that anyone else finds remotely funny(in case you found something
funny or something un-funny above [Note - I'm funny, everyone else
is troubled]), but I find hope for the others, as the great W.S.C said,
never, never, never quit (he drank enough
to kill a small donkey most days....)

-jm