That said, it's probably also good to hear from the JCP as well. It would probably help the ASF gauge what their exposure is and what approaches they feel comfortable with.

David

David Van Couvering wrote:
OK, good point, thanks.

David

Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
David Van Couvering wrote:

Andrew McIntyre wrote:

Or maybe ask Geir, since he's VP of Java Community Process for the
Apache Software Foundation, since similar instances may have come up
fairly recently. [3]

Even if we did ask Geir, he's not the last word on it. I'd rather hear
it from the horse's mouth.  I or someone else will get back to you.

From the ASF point of view, which is what we are discussing here, I
rather think Geir is the "horse's mouth". It's the ASF's interpretation
of the licence the ASF signed and the risks the ASF is willing to take
that matter with a Apache Derby release.

Dan.