Kathey Marsden wrote:
> Brian McCallister wrote:
>
>> If the interfaces happen to exist in a release before the spec is final,
>> well, cool. Folks using them are at risk of the spec changing at the
>> last
>> minute, so I would put bright red warnings around them if they are event
>> documented before the official release of the spec (not of Derby).
>>
> +1
> - We have a Derby 10.2 GA release with any JDBC 4.0 functionality marked
> as USE AT YOUR OWN RISK, just part of incremental devlopment and totally
> subject to change if the spec does.
> - Mustang takes that and runs with it.
> - Then we have a follow up release, yes even two months later where we
> are certified compliant.
>
> A nice clean 2 phase commit.  I haven't read the legal stuff, but does
> this not work?

It works, but if you want to be technical about it, not really.  Because
of the license Sun chose for the public draft for JDBC4, you can't
actually implement and distribute it.

Of course, as the licensor, Sun could offer a 'clarification' of that
license and allow implementations of the public draft, and that would at
least let us legally ship it.

The cleanest way seem to just remove the JDBC4 stuff from the upcoming
GA release, and then release a JDBC4 driver as fast as you can once you
have the final spec and a TCK.

geir