Andreas Korneliussen wrote:
> Anyone can check out the Derby source tree, and build a "derby" with the
> GA bit set at any time. If anyone does that, it clearly does not mean
> that Derby has gone GA with JDBC4, and that the community is held
> legally responsible.

Anyone can build Derby, yes.

Anyone who builds Derby with the intent of producing a release candidate
that will voted on by the community to become an official Apache release
is now working within the Derby community.

As for who is held responsible ... the DB PMC has oversight over the
Derby project to make sure that legal bases are covered [1]:

> The role of the PMC from a Foundation perspective is oversight. The main role
> of the PMC is not code and not coding - but to ensure that all legal issues
> are addressed, that procedure is followed, and that each and every release is
> the product of the community as a whole. That is key to our litigation
> protection mechanisms.

Please don't take it amiss if some of us on the DB PMC are aggressively
jumping in regarding these legal issues. We know the intent of this
release candidate and it's our responsibility to make sure legal issues
get resolved correctly.

 -jean

[1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#structure