Hi Jean,

This sounds good to me. I have downloaded the generator together with John's latest edits. I will add this text to the output generator. I hope to check it in and use it tomorrow.

Regards,
-Rick

Jean T. Anderson wrote:

Here's a first shot:

In the messages below each {n} tag, where n is a number, represents a
value that the Derby engine fills in at runtime. Examples of values
include database names, database object names, property names, user
names, and parameters passed to a function or procedure.

suggestions?

-jean

David Van Couvering wrote:
I think this is reasonable...

David

Laura Stewart (JIRA) wrote:

   [
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-1566?page=comments#action_12431970
]             Laura Stewart commented on DERBY-1566:
--------------------------------------

I understand the benefit of using the tool to generate current
messages.  Of course I do prefer the human readable variables instead
of the markers like
{0} and {1}.

If we stick with this approach, I recommend that a sentence be added
to the message files that explains the variable markers.

Document SQLStates in 10.2
--------------------------

               Key: DERBY-1566
           Project: Derby
        Issue Type: Improvement
        Components: Documentation
  Affects Versions: 10.2.1.0
          Reporter: Rick Hillegas
       Assigned To: David Van Couvering
           Fix For: 10.2.1.0

       Attachments: derby-1566-1.diff, derby-1566-2.diff,
derby-1566-3.diff, ErrorMessageGenerator.david.diffs,
ErrorMessageGenerator.david.diffs2,
ErrorMessageGenerator.david.diffs3, ErrorMessageGenerator.david.java,
ErrorMessageGenerator.java, ErrorMessageGenerator_davidv3_john.diff,
newmsgs-10.2.txt, rrefexcept-2.html, rrefexcept-3.html,
rrefexcept71493.html

We need to update the Reference Guide to document the current list of
SQLStates. This list goes into
Reference Guide
 Derby exception messages and SQL states
   SQLState and error message reference
The tool mentioned in DERBY-296 may be useful.