Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
> Since this is an open-*source* project, we do have other options that
> seem to have no legal issues to me (IANAL).
>
> Option A - Source only release with JDBC 4.0 based on proposed final draft
>   Derby 10.2 release is source only, no pre-compiled jars, removes the
> dependency on the Mustang download.
>
> Option B - Release pre-compiled jars without JDBC 4.0 optional build
>   Option A plus pre-compiled jars without JDBC 4.0, already supported by
> just compiling without a Java SE 6/Mustang JDK.
>
> In both cases the current state of the 10.2 branch is left unchanged wrt
> JDBC 4.0, ie. no removal of JDBC 4.0 from code or documentation.

I think this is brilliant. Just leave the source code as it is but
release binaries without JDBC4 (read: don't compile them with JDK 6).
Anyone that want to "experiment" with JDBC4 may of course get the Derby
10.2 source and JDK 6 beta-build x and do whatever seems fit for the
experiments.....
Sun Microsystems, Trondheim, Norway