Laura Stewart wrote:
> I have successfully performed the "forrest seed" command.  Following
> the tutorial, I tried changing the sample web pages, but have run into
> problems getting the changes to appear.  I'm having difficulties
> figuring out which files control which pages (or parts of pages).
>
> Should I continue to work through the tutorial or start looking at the
> derby files?

I'll let you decide which would be more productive for you, but I'll go
ahead and start discussing the derby web site files because that will
become more relevant. --Anyone who knows better than I do on any of
these details please jump in and add more info or correct.

There's a one-to-one correspondence between a source file and the target.

After checking out the derby web site source on your local system, this
is the file that explains dita processing:

   src/documentation/content/xdocs/manuals/dita.xml

I'm using it as an example because I know you happen to be interested in
improving it :-) . The static processed (or "skinned" file, in
forrest-speak) is here:

   build/site/manuals/dita.html

Now, let's say you modify that dita.xml source file. When do those
changes become visible?

There are two answers (that I know of):

1) If you "File open" build/site/manuals/dita.html with your browser,
those changes only become visible after you execute 'forrest site' to
rebuild the web site.

By default (and derby uses the default) 'forrest site' outputs static
pages to build/site. The derby web site at http://db.apache.org/derby is
composed of static pages.

2) If you are using the jetty server that comes with forrest to view
pages -- in other words, you did these two steps:

   - 'forrest run'
   - with your browser open localhost:8888

 Then the changes become visible after you refresh your page.

I don't use method #2 so anyone should feel free to dive in and correct
me on those details.

 -jean