Having talked to lots of Derby users and prospects at conferences and
elsewhere, I can only say that such addition / feature / hooks would be
quite welcome, indeed.

I'm at least aware of several open source projects (including some from
Apache) which would be interested in using Derby's B-Tree implementation for
the following reasons:

- It is 100% Java

- It is mature

- It performs well

- It is Apache

- It has an active community

There are also users who have a need for a simpler store (not SQL-based)
with a much lower footprint for restricted environments. Yes, they could use
other solutions out there but the Apache licensing scheme and community is
what bring them here in the first place.