Dag H. Wanvik wrote:
Bryan Pendleton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Aren't there some pretty good packages for this already? E.g., BDB-JE,
JDBM, Perst, etc.?

JDBM is being incubated as an Apache project.

That would take care any licensing concerns.

Maturity wise, it's unclear to me what state JDBM is in, started at source forge in 2000 but last release in 2001? I only looked briefly.

The download seems to be around 250k, which could be a better starting point than Derby. I found a blog entry that said its actual jar file size was 85k.

Community, well maybe not much community currently around JDBM, but coming to Apache could change that, especially if folks from Derby got involved. Seems strange to me for Derby to start up its own lite project while another is in incubation at Apache. Could be a great opportunity for two communities to work together rather than against each other.

If JDBM graduated from incubation at Apache, then why would anyone want to work on slimming Derby down if there was a working solution under the same license?

Dan.