Hello Kathey,
I overlooked this. I thought that roles were set and used on a by-user
basis; personally I find it a little counter-productive that the role has to
be chosen on every session. I am not totally sure how it goes on SQL Server
or MySQL for example, but at least Oracle loads up all the privileges set to
that user through roles. Then you can choose during that session whether you
want to enable or disable certain roles:
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14200/statements_10004.htm

We might want to have a look into what's the most common behavior and stick
with that one; if on the other hand we are sticking to our way on this and
it differs from the other RDBMS' way then we might want indeed to make this
more explicit and obvious. I think it is easy to overlook the fact that you
have to SET a role on top of having been granted that role.

Tiago