On Thursday 27 October 2005 11:01, Rick Hillegas wrote:
> Thanks, Michael. You are correct, Derby, like DB2, finesses this issue
> by not allowing nullable columns in unique constraints. I have closed
> this bug.
>
> Cheers,
> -Rick

NP,

But Dan's reply is an interesting one.

What Sybase did was create a Schrodinger's Cat.
(See http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci341236,00.html for a
definition... ;-)

This is actually a bug in Sybase.
(Note: Bug because by allowing multiple tuples where n-1 of the constraint
columns match and the nth column is NULL, the guaranteed uniqueness fails.
[Where n = number of columns in the table constraint] )

With respect to constraints in Derby...

You really need to consider allowing NULLs in columns that are part of a table
constraint. In fact, you should really reconsider how you handle constraints
in general.

But hey, what do I know?  Meow. ;-)

-G
--